Brooks Digital is a growing digital agency that helps nonprofits build and continuously improve their websites. We work with clients to determine how their website helps them achieve their mission, and then create and execute a data-driven plan to increase the impact of their website. We are looking for a Tech Lead to provide technical oversight and leadership for our one-time and ongoing projects based on Drupal 7 and 8.
As a Tech Lead, you are accountable for understanding and guiding technical architecture, making and communicating tradeoff decisions during project implementation, advocating for code quality and project sustainability, performing technical analysis and breakdown of features, managing releases (including the project release pipeline), reviewing and testing work to meet project/company standards, and mentoring other engineers on the team. Your work ensures the long-term success of our nonprofit clients, and helps them create positive change in the world.
This is an hourly contract / remote opportunity, with the potential for full-time hire (if desired) for the right candidate as the company grows.
You will be directly responsible for providing technical leadership for the projects you are assigned to. This involves:
- Maintaining an overall understanding of a project’s architecture, and guiding technical decisions to create, maintain, or improve that architecture as necessary.
- Making and clearly communicating tradeoff decisions during project implementation to balance timeline, scope, and code quality.
- Advocating for the overall technical health of the project, and leading the implementation of best practices with consideration for the project’s scope and budget.
- Understanding and analyzing the business goals of a project / feature, and suggesting technical solutions that meet those goals in a way that aligns with the project architecture and overall project sustainability.
- Breaking down features into individual components, estimating those components, recommending team members to implement them, and clarifying / documenting technical risks, assumptions, and unknowns with the project manager and the client.
- Coordinating releases, including the release infrastructure / pipeline for each project, to facilitate continuous integration and delivery.
- Reviewing the code of other team members to ensure it fits within the overall project architecture, and adheres to project and company standards.
- Mentoring other developers on the team through leading by example, teaching, providing praise, and delivering constructive feedback where appropriate.
- Implementing features, enhancements, and bug fixes as necessary to assist the development team in meeting its release schedule.
We’re looking for you to:
- Have significant experience developing responsive, data-driven Drupal sites across versions 7.x and 8.x.
- Possess strong backend experience developing and extending modules and creating custom APIs.
- Have practical experience with TDD / BDD using PHPUnit, Behat, and other testing frameworks.
- Possess fluency in HTML5 and CSS, including modern preprocessors and responsive theming techniques.
- Have familiarity with front-end development frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Bring extensive architecture and site-building experience using tools such as Views, Panels, Context, and Paragraphs.
- Have experience with PHP object-oriented design patterns and frameworks, particularly Symfony.
- Be comfortable using and promoting Git best practices, including Gitflow and branching models.
Understand the lifecycle of software development and be familiar with lean / agile development practices.
- Be self-directed and able to accomplish your best work when given the space and guidance to do so.
- Gracefully handle the challenges that accompany agency growth with a positive attitude and a solution-oriented mindset.
- Communicate openly and honestly about things that need to be improved, even if it’s a tough conversation.
- Have high EQ, including stellar verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong planning, organization, and problem-solving skills, as well as an attention to detail.
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in a relat—who are we kidding, does it really matter these days?
Interested? Contact Christefano at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your CV, hourly rate, time zone, references, GitHub / Drupal.org links, and where you’d like to go for the next Brooks Digital company retreat :)